Keeping an open mind to what you can use a punch for, made quick work in creating my February Art Journal calendar in a bit of both scrapbook and art journal style. Making things more artful isn’t hard!
Here is how this went together:
- I found a piece of red with white dot paper for the background.
- Used coordinating paper and cut letter out.
- Found the letters not only coordinated, they just blended in and faded away.
- Outlined the die cut letters with marker to make them stand out! Much better! Adhered the February title.
- Hand cut 3 hearts in different shapes from paper that looked like book text. I didn’t want to use book text, because I wanted to make sure the paper was archival safe for this project.
- Added definition to the text hearts by using pastels on the edges with both a gray and red color. (Use what you have on hand for this step, inking will be just fine – just rub it on.) Note that this was purposefully not done neatly.
- More definition was added by just loosely outlining around and partially on the hearts, with a thin black marker
- Punched smaller hearts out of a white vellum card stock, and arranged them on page.
- Attached the vellum hearts in the corners with a glue dot. Normally you want to be careful what you use to adhere vellum, because it can show through. I used that to my advantage, and used it as the tiny spot to write my numbers for the days of the month. Also, I decided that I would attach the hearts only in a single spot, in case I want to write under the heart. That way, I have several options for journalling and can actually double my writing space if I need to!
- I outlined a couple of special days during the month, which are a holiday and a family birthday!
- I went in a put a dot of Crystal Effects on the upper left edge of each punched heart to give it a little more stability. Those dots weren’t dry when I took the photos, so they really don’t show up. It will be a nice little shiny accent for each day!
- Done! Although I realized I forgot to put the year. However, don’t you think if it is sandwiched in with a bunch of other months from the same year it will be okay? I may add the year, I may not. Oh, maybe I’ll just use a date stamp!
If you make a calendar page, please come share it with us over at our Artful Adventures Facebook Group!
Here are some supplies you can pick up over at my Stampin’Up! store.
Heart Punch – #119883
First Edition Specialty Paper – #121878 (Also used on this project)
White Vellum Cardstock – #101856
Glue Dots – #103683
Stamp Sponges – #101610
Basic Gray – #126979
Real Red – #126949
White uni-ball Signo Gell Pen – #105021
Crystal Effects – #101055
Typeset Alphabet Bigz Die Set – #127553
Big Shot Die-Cutting Machine – #113439